Here are my plans for WordCampDC 2017! #wcdc
Here is my contact card. Feel free to email, text or tweet at any time!
I’m in the process of relocating to DC from Harrisonburg, VA. I was hoping to be up there living and working already, but plans got delayed a bit. I’ll be staying at the Pod Hotel in Chinatown.
Also heads up: it’s pronounced “Car-NAY-gee” 😀
Thursday, July 13, 2017
- 3pm – Leave Harrisonburg, VA.
- 6-ish – Arrive at the speakers dinner
- Stay in Chinatown at the Pod hotel
Friday, July 14, 2017
- 8am – Drive Heather to Dulles (She’s presenting at IMPS in Zurich!)
- 9:45am – Get back? (Hopefully traffic isn’t too bad. It should only be 80 min without traffic)
- 10:00am – How Kiplinger used WordPress for a paid digital service
- 10:45am – WordPress for Intranet Knowledge Management
- 11:30am – Alternative Hacks: WordPress security from the outside looking in
- 12:00pm – Lunch
- 1:30pm – Raiders of the Lost Archives
- 2:15pm – Effective Bug Discovery and Management
- 3:00pm – Screen Readers Galore: Creating Accessible Rich Sites with ARIA
- 3:30pm – Break
- 4:00pm – Using WordPress to Bridge the Digital Divide
- 5:30pm – Advanced Topics in WordPress Development
Not sure what my plans are yet on Friday night! I may need to do some last minute work on slides.
Contact me for dinner plans though!
Saturday, July 15, 2017
Friends, Romans, WordCampers, the great @salcode and I will be eating breakfast at @TedsBULLETIN on 14th at 7am on Sat of @wordcampdc #wcdc
— Casey Driscoll (@caseydriscoll) June 29, 2017
- 6:55am – Breakfast with Sal at Ted’s Bulletin on 14th NW (EVERYONE IS INVITED. PLEASE COME!)
- 9:00am – Opening remarks
- 9:15am – Pixel Imperfect: A Practical Approach To Responsive Design
- 10:00am – Modern CSS: You can do it!
- 10:45am – Growing open source communities on GitHub
- 11:30am – Be Better By Doing Less: Front End Automation
- 12:00pm – Lunch
- 1:30pm – How to Build a Popular Blog and Master WordPress Even If You’re a Liberal Arts Major
- 2:15pm – Essential Tools for Productivity (and knowing when to try the new toy)
- 3:30pm – Break
- 4:00pm – Does your website “spark joy”? Refresh and declutter your website to attract your ideal clients
- 4:45pm – How to Understand & Use HTTP Without a CS Degree
- 5:30pm – Speak! Modern WordPress Theme Development with Sage 9
- My talk is currently in progress on this website.
- 6ish-8ish: Chill somewhere cold
- 8pm-11ish: After party at the Carnegie Library!
Sunday, July 16, 2017
Take this really NICE tour with us on Sunday! View the Map & Details and Sign Up! @wordcampdc https://t.co/4n86PyQzxs #funfacts #walkingtour pic.twitter.com/0GTDwNlWzb
— Tara Claeys (@design_tlc) July 12, 2017
- 8:55am – DC Tour! (see tweet above)
- Rest of Day – Contributor Day! I have some ideas for a few plugins I’d like to hack on and hopefully publish
Two years ago I tried getting a Harrisonburg, VA WordPress meet up off the ground, with a bit of success. I had moved to DC for a year, so I had to abandon it. A local dev, Vital Boisset (coolest real name ever) has stepped up to the plate to organize it though, so I’m hoping to help him get connected with Josepha (though I’m leaving town again, this time permanently).
This is one of the first WordCamps I’m going to where I’ll already know a bunch of people. I’m pretty excited to be honest.
It’s previously been nerve wracking trying to travel to exotic places like Lancaster, PA and meet people on the fly.
Please reach out if you’re new and or nervous!
The Ruby conference community has this neat thing called #rubyfriends where they take selfies together at conferences. Maybe we can do a #wpfriends? It doesn’t look all that utilized.
Grateful for the change to see amazing speakers and make new #rubyfriends at #RailsConf. See ya next year! 👋 pic.twitter.com/uG4lBlMUyy
— Josh Puetz (@joshpuetz) April 28, 2017
Congrats to the organizers for pulling this all together. It takes a LOT of hard work, sacrifice and dedication. So thanks for your work!